System-Risk Conference 2019
Flood hazard and risk: Interactions, temporal changes and system approaches
Date: 17. - 19. September 2019
Venue: Helmholtz Centre Potsdam - GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Telegrafenberg, D-14473 Potsdam
In view of globally increasing flood losses, the assessment and management of flood risk is a substantial societal challenge and an important issue on the political agenda. Current approaches for assessing and managing flood risk ignore fundamental principles of flood risk system functioning. Interactions and feedbacks between atmosphere, catchments, river-floodplain systems, as well as socioeconomic processes are usually disregarded. System approaches are needed to address the solidarity principle anchored in the EU Floods Directive, which calls for consideration of the potential adverse consequences of risk management interventions for upstream and downstream regions. The System-Risk Conference 2019 is the final conference of the European Training Network System-Risk and aims to bring together flood risk researchers and practitioners from research institutes, authorities, the insurance industry and consultancy. It provides an opportunity to share new insights and developments and offers a forum to discuss the uptake of these findings in risk management including the implementation process of the European Flood Directive.
We invite scientists and practitioners to share their research and insights into flood risk assessment and management. Contributions related to the following themes are welcome:
- Interplay between atmospheric and catchment processes and its relation with flood occurrence. (Theme 1)
- Flood risk analysis of river basins taking into account interdependencies between subareas and the effect of flood defence failures. (Theme 2)
- Interactions of socio-economic and physical processes, and its relation with changes in flood risks. (Theme 3)
- Comprehensive flood loss assessments including indirect damages and damages related to critical infrastructure. (Theme 4)
- Robust decision making in flood risk management on larger scales. (Theme 5)
- Challenges in flood risk governance and international co-operation. (Theme 6)
Technical hands-on workshop
The transfer from science to practice is one important aim of the conference. To foster this exchange we offer a technical hands-on workshop in the run-up to the conference.
For more information please follow this >>LINK